Google
 

7.24.2007

Point Shaving Latest Reason Grandfather Hates NBA

In light of the recent point shaving scandal involving veteran NBA referee Tim Donaghy, millions of grandfathers around the country were given a much-desired opportunity to rant about their feelings towards the professional basketball league.

At weekend family get-togethers throughout the nation, NBA fans were subjected to what was assuredly a long-winded and bigotry-infused diatribe about the current state of the league relative to its previous eras.

"I mean, I'm sort of used to the racist comments and little asides on the purity of the game, but this new business about fixing games has really lit a fire under the old man," said Atlanta resident Steve Sampson, whose grandfather has not watched an NBA game since 1987. "I'm just glad it wasn't a black guy or a female official. I don't think I would have ever heard the end of that."

With further investigation pending, along with the extensive media coverage of the controversy, NBA fans see little possibility of a respite from the criticism for at least a few more months.

"I think Thanksgiving is shot," replied NBA fan and Dallas resident Mark Johnson, upon being asked when he thought normal conversation with his grandfather might resume. "I'm hoping that by Christmas the Democratic presidential primary race will have heated up to the point that the majority of his hostility will be consumed with all that."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds eerily close to my family life. Could I have been the inspiration?

Coach Bowers said...

Maybe...